Who we are
Launched in August 2022, AIGS is a growing community of Canadians from academia, industry, public service and civil society.
We care deeply about the risks and opportunities presented by the development of advanced AI systems, and have two core objectives:
- Establish a shared community for discussion & collaboration, and
- Provide every major stakeholder with the awareness, connections, and support they need to take effective action.
AIGS is funded by individual Canadian donors like you.
Our Vision, Mission & Values
Our Vision: The development of advanced AI technology is safe and beneficial for all.
Our Mission: To catalyse Canada’s leadership in AI governance and safety.
- Integrity: We are open and honest about our intentions and actions. We act in good faith.
- Collaboration: We believe in cooperation within a wide coalition of individuals and groups. Our approach is cross-disciplinary, inclusive, and emphasises unity.
- Compassion: We are motivated by a deep love for all. We act with care and intention in pursuit of our mission.
- Impact: We are results-oriented. We expect the best of ourselves, and our partners, as we strive towards success with a level head and a critical eye.
- Courage: We are unwavering in the face of adversity. We embrace challenges head-on, and act ambitiously when the situation demands it.
Canada is one of the top five AI countries in the world, and the birthplace of modern AI. Along with our good international reputation, we are an ideal hub for both governance solutions, public engagement, and safety research.
We are in a strong position to pioneer domestic policy that other countries can learn from, and can play a leading role in advancing international talks on global AI governance.
What we do
We believe that to take effective, sustained action to govern AI, Canada will need strong networks, a coordinated AI ecosystem, and educated and engaged citizens.
AIGS is Canada’s leading hub for anyone who cares about the issues and wants to get involved. We organise events, share resources, and run a newsletter, and our slack community connects all members and acts as a platform for discussion and collaboration.
With Bill C-27, Canada is just beginning to write its laws on the development and implementation of AI systems.
By curating the best available policy options and building connections with all major stakeholders, AIGS seeks to encourage sensible and effective regulation that positions Canada as a global leader in ensuring positive AI outcomes. As Ezra Klein recently pointed out, small not-for-profits can have a hugely positive impact on the direction of government. That’s what we intend to do!